Monday 15 November 2010

Gig Review: Funeral For A Friend @ Sub 89, Reading. 12/11/2010

First of all, apologies for the delay in this post, I couldn’t be bothered yesterday and i had a lab report to write today. So get off my back Mike and Lynn, here it is, I hope it is rubbish and you hate reading it. Well, I don’t hope it is rubbish, it would be nice for one of my reviews to be at least half decent!

After a hugely delayed journey back from Brighton, and a horribly rushed dinner consisting of two sausage rolls, we ventured to Sub 89 in Reading in order to watch Funeral for a Friend. This would be my fifth time watching what is fast becoming one of my favourite rock bands.

The venue was basically identical to the O2 Academy at Oxford so I felt fairly at home with this club turned gig venue that I was visiting for the first time. One thing that immediately hit me was the amount of girls that were dressed up for this gig, prompting me to wonder whether we had come on the right night! No worries though, as we were then reunited with gig, and soul, mates Adrian and Dan, and the banter resumed.

The support act for tonight was the eagerly anticipated Rise to Remain, a band headed up by none other than the son of Mr Bruce Dickenson! However, this parental connection is most definitely where the band’s Maiden links end, their brand of metalcore a far cry from the galloping riff’s of Dickenson senior’s band. It is evident that I was a number of very few people who had seen Rise to Remain before, having been blow away by them at Sonisphere this year, and i must say that this performance impressed me more. Playing to a crowd where they were virtual unknowns, they managed to get it going in a great way. I think it is safe to say that the boys left the stage with a fair number of new fans after yet another sterling performance.

Now to the night’s main act. I was a bit unsure about what kind of set list that the boys would be flaunting tonight, well aware of the new line-up and looming new album. With minimal mucking about, the boys jump on to the stage and launch in to new, and heavier than normal, single Serpents in Solitude. Not familiar with this song, I assumed that this might be a more laid back gig, where the lads would take the opportunity to air some new material, I was secretly glad for this as i was still feeling pretty damn man-fluey. However, no sooner had the last meaty tones of this opening song fade, then the band threw themselves into classic Roses for the Dead, and my night of relaxed musical enlightenment was dashed as I ran head first into the rapidly expanding mosh pit.

The guys were on top form tonight, and confirmed the belief in my mind that they are one of the classiest acts around. The new bassist fit in effortlessly, his raw style giving the band a bit of a grittier feel. There was also a great deal more ‘banter’ coming from the band than I had previously witnessed, this is possibly due to Matthew Davies-Kreye being a little bit tipsy. Hilarious chat involving pregnant ladies tearing up the pit, and going off on ‘bastard tangents’ aside, i was impressed with his vocals tonight, coming through much clearer than the previous times i have seen the group.

New songs went down very well it must be said, a personal favourite being Front Row Seats to the End of the World. With minimal time between songs, the lads rattle through a great deal of material, before seemingly ending with a one-two of fan favourites History and Into Oblivion, before returning for a powerful encore.

I was very impressed with Funeral tonight, a much more enjoyable and powerful performance than I have seen before from them. Maybe it is because this size of venue suits them more than the bloated audience gained at festivals. They had complete control of their audience, we really were eating out the palms of their hands.
Rating: 8/10

1. Serpents In Solitude
2. Roses For The Dead
3. Rookie Of The Year
4. Sixteen
5. Juneau
6. Red is the New Black
7. Damned If You Do, Dead If You  Don’t
8. The End Of Nothing
9. Wrench
10. Vultures
11. Man Alive
12. History
13. Into Oblivion

Encore
14. All The Rage
15. Front Row Seats To The End Of The World
16. Escape Artists Never Die

No comments:

Post a Comment